This post contains affiliate links.
These Hokey Pokey Cupcakes are really quite easy to make. If you boil it down you really have a chocolate base with chocolate frosting garnished with pieces of hokey pokey and then dribbled with caramel. That’s enough to get your taste buds watering. And the buttercream chocolate frosting is so delicate and soft that it just melts in your mouth with every bite.
I love the crunch of the hokey pokey with the sweet taste of the caramel. It just seems to be a perfect match. You may differ in your opinion but really give it a try before you knock it. The buttercream chocolate frosting is a simple frosting recipe that is not too hard to make and keeps well in the fridge.
If you have any suggestions on what you would like me to make in terms of recipes why not leave a comment below and I will endeavour to cook and place the recipe onto the site for you.
Check out How To Make Hokey Pokey Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and Caramel below.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ¾ cup hot coffee
- ¾ cup bread flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Frosting:
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces chocolate (milk, semisweet or dark), melted and cooled
- For the Topping:
- Caramel Sauce
- Hokey Pokey bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard-size muffin pan with liners. Place the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the mixture and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk the oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla extract into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Add the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin pan cups. Bake until the cupcakes are set and just firm to the touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on the wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Make the Frosting: In a food processor, process the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla extract and process until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then add the chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10 to 15 one-second pulses. Frost the cupcakes as desired. The frosted cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Top with a drizzling of Caramel sauce and bits of hokey pokey
Notice the warm delicate soft texture of the chocolate base 🙂
Share these with a friend over a cup of hot coffee.