This post contains affiliate links.
I used to make this recipe as a kid. It was so easy to make and you didn’t have to wait around too long like you do for some other types of fruit cakes. The fruit cake was so moist and everyone loved it. I would put some almond icing on it and it was such a sweet treat. now i am going to reveal this recipe to you. i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.
- Ingredients For The Fruit Cake
- 8 oz margarine or butter
- 4 oz Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Pint Milk
- 1lb mixed fruit
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 4 oz Glace Cherries
- 2 oz chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 12 oz Self Raising Flour
- Put all of the ingredients for the fruit mix in a large saucepan bring it to the boil for a few minutes and then allow to cool for about 30 minutes
- You will need to Preheat oven to 160C
- Slowly add the cherries and nuts and then stir through
- Add eggs and make sure you mix well, add all of the flour and carefully fold through the mix.
- Place all of the mixture onto a greased and floured 7' or 8' - deep cake tin. Put some greaseproof paper around the out-side of the tin allowing the paper to come over the edges of the tin, or alternatively you can place over the top about half way through baking. You will need to Bake for 2 hours however check after about 1.5 hours , to see if cooked thoroughly using a skewer. If not then bake a little more until the skewer comes out clean from the fruit cake. Allow to cool down then either decorate with marzipan and royal icing ( I love the almond icing), or apricots and some cherries and glaze with melted apricot jam.
This cake is so moist and sweet it melts in your mouth.
Below is a Youtube video that explains the process of making this delicious fruit cake below: