I love Spongebob Squarepants and would come home each afternoon to watch each program. Childish fun with some adult humour is how i viewed the tv program. I decided its about time i created a Spongebob cupcake. The cupcake itself is really straightforward as its a simple vanilla cupcake recipe. The frosting however is premade (just buy it from the supermarket) and i also use some white royal icing along with food coloring to get the blue eyes and brown pants.
Everything “on” the plate is edible, including the writing. its made from a gel that you squeeze from a sort of gel pen.
How many of you like Spongebob? Or am i the only Spongebob fan. Comment and let me know below.
The hardest part about this cupcake is getting the shapes right. I use a fondant set to help shape the edges. i would say the eyelashes probably took the longest time to make so delicate and really hard to position right. They kept slipping off the Spongebob face. But I got there in the end and am very proud of my effort. I find its easiest if you take a small amount of black icing and roll it between your thumb and index finger to get a nice long eyelash.
- 125 grams butter
- 125 grams sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Red,Blue,Yellow,Black,White and Brown Frosting
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat eggs until thick, and then add alternately with sifted flour and baking powder.
- Place mixture into cupcake liners filling about 2/3 to top
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Cut out shapes from frosting and place onto cupcake