This post contains affiliate links.
Its been a little while since i posted a new recipe so this Moist Easy Chocolate Cupcake Recipe From Scratch with Buttercream Icing is a milestone for me. I have been busy fixing up my websites after having someone hack into them. I was not particularly happy as its taken about a month to fix everything up. So i am now happy to post this new recipe for you. However it has not been without its mishaps.
As you can see the buttercream icing was perfectly piped on and then i placed it into a paper bag to transport the cupcake and it fell on its side 🙁 So the icing looks a little squashed. Well it happens to the best of us a guess. Then i went to take the photographs and quite a few were a little blurry. I had just shared the cupcake with a friend over a cup of tea so now have nothing to photograph so hope you don’t mind the pictures as they are.
Life can be full of ups and downs but coming through those obstacles makes us stronger and wiser. So I am really happy to be food blogging again. The frosting really is quite delicate and you would want to ensure you keep the finished iced cupcakes away from a paper bag 🙂
I can say the taste is really good over a nice cup of coffee or tea. I have just finished off these cupcakes and although a little squashed tasted just fine. The recipe is super simple. its really just a chocolate cake recipe for the base followed by a delicate vanilla frosting with some blue food coloring. Super easy super moist, which is how i like all of my cakes and cupcakes and yummy.
In this photograph above I tried to disguise the fact that i had flattened the icing by making a central cut. However there appeared a slight blur which i didn’t notice until after i had eaten the cupcakes. yes i do eat all of the cupcakes i put up on this blog 🙂
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 6 ounces of unsalted full cream butter, room temperature
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F and place rack in center position.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners; set aside until needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together boiling water and cocoa powder until smooth; cover with plastic wrap and cool until needed.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside until needed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a BeaterBlade attachment, cream butter and sugar for a couple minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and salt; mix until combined.
- Add cooled cocoa mixture, flour mixture, and buttermilk; mix just until combined.
- Use a #20 scoop to fill cupcake liners and tap the pan on the counter to even the level of batter before baking.
- Bake cupcakes for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for several minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Note: be sure cupcakes are completely cool before frosting with Italian Meringue Buttercream (recipe and photos found here).