I normally don’t eat doughnuts but finished every morsel of this one. It was downed in record time with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. The treats of baking your very own cafe style goodies within the comfort of your own home.
Not one to keep a good thing to myself, i shared this with my friends and although they were on a diet made an exception with this one.
Here is another shot this time on a white platter just before finishing it off.
- 4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- ¼ cup of lukewarm water
- 1 cup oflukewarm milk
- 3 tablespoons of superfine caster sugar
- 100 g of melted butter
- 4¼ cups of plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Put the yeast, the water, the milk along with the 1 tablespoon of sugar into a bowl and then set aside for 10 minutes. The mixture should start to foam, indicating that your yeast is active.
- Add the flour, the butter, the eggs and the remaining sugar to the yeast mixture and then mix using a butter knife until a sticky dough forms.
- Bring the dough together by gently kneading using your hands on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover over with a tea towel and then set aside in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until it is doubled in size.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until it feels smooth and elastic when pressed.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface until about 1 cm thick. Cut into 8 cm rounds using a cutter. optionally Cut a 3.5 cm hole in the middle of the rounds.*
- Place on a tray lined with non-stick baking paper, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over a medium - low heat. Cook the doughnuts a few at a time for about 1 minute each side or until golden.
- Drain briefly onto paper towels.