This post contains affiliate links.
Can you just smell the crispy cheese that has melted all over a tender chicken breast made crunchy by crushed Ritz crackers and spiced with Italian herbs and cracked pepper and finally topped with dried parsley and baked to perfection of course.
Wow that was a mouthful but then so is the taste of this recipe and once you have your mouth full of this Easy Cheesy Baked Chicken yo u wont want anything else. I love easy recipes that are quick and taste good and this one meets all the criteria.
I was hoping to bake this in under 45 minutes including all of the preparation but it takes just under 1 hour. That’s not too bad considering the cooking time is around 45 minutes. What i like is the fact that its easy and that not too many ingredients are required. The end result is spectacular. the chicken is really moist and tender due to the first 35 minutes baking covered with tin foil. The last 10 minutes has the tin foil removed to brown up the cheese.
I wasn’t sure if i would be able to locate Ritz crackers but as it turned out the local supermarket stocked them. i used the original ones and then used herbs to spice it up myself. The easy cheesy baked chicken recipe is below. Please also check out our tips on how to bake the perfect chicken breasts.
- 4-6 large chicken breasts
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian Herbs
- Crush crackers. Pour the milk, cheese and cracker crumbs into 3 separate small pans. Toss the sea salt, cracked pepper and Italian Herbs into the cracker crumbs and stir the mixture around to combine. Carefully dip each piece of chicken into the milk and then the cheese. Press the cheese into the chicken with your fingers to ensure it sticks. Then press the cheesy coated chicken into the cracker crumbs and press it in.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and lay the chicken inside the pan. You may want to coat the chicken with some more cheese and Ritz crackers over the tops. Sprinkle the dried parsley over the chicken. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove the tin foil, bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the edges of the chicken are golden brown and crispy.