The Best Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe Ever
I have been trying quite a few red velvet cake recipes, and i have to say that this happens to be my very favorite. This is why I have named this The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe Ever. Quite a statement but try it for yourself and see.
These cupcakes have a great and unique flavor, they are not too dry, and they are a very bright red. The year just gone I made some mini green velvet coloured cupcakes for St. Patrick’s Day, so know that you are able to substitute out the food colouring if you happen to want to go with a little something different. It certainly was a very fun change! I practically almost always prefer to use gel food colour, but with these cupcakes you will need the liquid instead.
I spent a little time locating something velvet-like to photograph these cupcakes on. The actual backdrop is a red velvet like pillow that I found in a hospice shop. I felt it set the mood for these Royal cupcakes. The frosting is piped onto the base in a rose or flower like petal which just makes it look gorgeous.
The full recipe is below and remember to not overcook the cupcake bases as they will become too dry – you want that soft moist texture to the cupcakes.
- 1 cup of shortening
- 1 3/4 cups of raw sugar
- 2 1/4 cup of good cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup of creamy buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 1 ounce of red food color
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 1/2 packages of cream cheese (12 ounces)
- 3/4 cup of full cream butter
- 1 1/2 pounds of powdered raw sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Preheat your oven or stove to 350 degrees.
- In your electric mixing bowl fitted with the paddle mixing attachment, carefully cream together the shortening along with the sugar. In a very large liquid measuring cup, add the eggs, and buttermilk, vanilla, baking soda, vinegar, and finally salt. Add the cake flour into the mixing bowl in three small additions, alternating along with the wet ingredients. Begin and end with the cake flour. Once all is combined, stir together the red food color along with the cocoa powder in a very small bowl. Add into the batter and then mix just until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the batter out into some muffin tins with liners, making sure you fill each with about 1/4 cup of batter. Bake for around 15-17 minutes or until a clean toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the baking pan for a few short minutes and then proceed to remove from the pan to cool completely.
- While the red velvet cupcakes are cooling, proceed to make the cream cheese frosting. In your electric mixing bowl fitted with mixing paddle, gently cream together the full cream butter and cream cheese until the texture is smooth.Then add the vanilla along with the salt and mix until all is incorporated. Add the powdered sugar in three separate additions and then mix until very smooth. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
Above is another shot of my best ever red velvet cupcakes recipe side by side. In this shot i used my childish plate to try and bring out the colors. You might have your own ideas i would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment below and i will get back to you. Also I would appreciate it if you shared this recipe. Just hit the share button below or at the top of this post.
Do you want a quick and simple recipe that will be ready in less than 5 minutes? This dragon fruit smoothie is made with just a few ingredients; dragon fruit, pineapple, and you can optionally add a...
This Dragon Fruit Smoothie in a bowl is very creamy and full of goodness. It doesn't just look beautiful it also tastes really good. Serving these smoothies in a bowl will allow you to top it with...