Pumpkin pancakes are a true delight. They taste similar to pumpkin pie but are way simpler to make, especially sing a ready-made pancake mix. Most ready-made pancake mixes call for similar ingredients to be added and require similar techniques. So, how to make pumpkin pancakes using Hungry Jack pancake mix?
To make pumpkin pancakes with Hungry Jack pancake mix, the mix needs pumpkin purée (canned pumpkins), milk, eggs, pumpkin spice (optional), sugar, baking powder, and sparkly water. Substitute the eggs for a banana mash and the milk for non-dairy milk for vegan pumpkin pancakes.
Pumpkin pancakes are an extremely simple dessert, yet very rich and delicious. The result is an ideal combination of the pumpkin pie flavor and creaminess and the simplicity of the pancakes. In the following paragraphs, I will explain how to make pumpkin pancakes using Hungry Jack pancake mix, what to combine the pancakes with, how many pancakes can you bake with a single box, and the best way to store them.
What to Put on Pumpkin Pancakes?
Because the pumpkin has a distinctive sweet and earthy flavor with a whiff of bitterness, it could be restrictive in terms of combining it. Therefore I wouldn’t recommend combining your Hungry Jack pumpkin pancakes with berries, as they won’t turn out well.
Honey, nuts, and orange slices, on the other hand, will mash perfectly with the pumpkin flavor and aroma.
Chocolate shavings and melted chocolate will be a true delight on top of your pumpkin pancakes. You can also add some green apple slices, and you’re good to go.
Another idea is a fig jam. Figs mash up nicely with the pumpkin flavor, so fig jam may be just what you want here.
Another excellent idea would be melted butter and raisins or other dried fruits combined with crushed almonds.
You can also add honey and cinnamon to the remaining pumpkin purée and top your Hungry Jack pumpkin pancakes with it.
How Many Pancakes You Get from One Hungry Jack Pancake Mix?
The standard amount of pancakes from a Hungry Jack pancake mix is 5 to 6 pancakes per cup or 22 pancakes in total. However, this number isn’t always correct as it highly depends on the additional ingredients you might add. The more additional ingredients you add to the dry mix, the more pancakes you can get with a single box.
However, the maximum number of pancakes a single Hungry Jack box can yield with added ingredients isn’t over 25-26.
Hungry Jack Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe
Since Hungry Jack has been confirmed as vegan, you can make both vegan and non-vegan pancakes with this recipe.
This is a very simple recipe, where the most important thing is the mixing technique. So, here is the recipe for Hungry Jack non-vegan pumpkin pancakes.
Pumpkin Pancakes Using Hungry Jack Pancake Mix
- 2 cups Hungry Jack pancake mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Sparking water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Mix the whites until you get a foamy texture.
- In another bowl, mix the pancake mix, yolks, milk, baking soda, sugar, and the pumpkin spice.
- Now add the sparkly water while mixing, and mix for 30 seconds more.
- Slowly add the pumpkin purée with a spoon, don’t add it all at once, and continue mixing until the mixture homogenizes.
- Now use a wooden spoon to slowly stir in the foamy whites. When you are done stirring, check the consistency. We are going for creamy and airy.
- When your battery is ready to cook, take the pan and grease it with vegetable oil, not butter.
- Preheat the pan to medium temperature. Use a ladle to get the right amount per pancake. Pour the batter onto the pan and let it cook, and don’t touch it until you see dry corners.
- Flip the pancake and bake it for another minute. The color should be somewhere between orange and golden brown.
How Long Do Hungry Jack Pancakes Last and How to Store Them?
Hungry Jack pancakes, or pancakes in general, don’t last for more than two days if they have been properly stored.
Even if you don’t add any ingredients that may go bad such as milk, eggs, or butter, they will still be able to last you 48 hours tops.
The problem isn’t that they will go bad, but they will harden and become like glue which isn’t pleasant at all.
To properly store your pancakes, place them in a zip lock bag and place the bag in an airtight container. Keep the pancakes in the fridge; never store them on the counter, as they will expire much sooner.
Can You Make Hungry Jack Pancakes With Milk Instead of Water?
Even though the recipe calls for nothing more than water, you can use milk, buttermilk, or vegan-friendly milk.
Moreover, using milk instead of water in your Hungry Jack pancake mix will make your pancakes fluffier, softer, and creamier.