Did someone ask for a budget-friendly, low-carb, easy-to-make dinner? If that’s you, then you’ve come to the right place! Made with only five ingredients, these cream cheese chicken roll ups can quickly become your family’s favorite.
I mean, what’s not to like – chicken breasts, cream cheese, AND bacon? It’s a combination made in kitchen heaven!
Why Are These Chicken Roll Ups so Special?
Firstly, they are made without any dough involved in the process, thus representing a lighter dinner suitable for weeknights.
Moreover, there’s bacon, and bacon indeed makes everything better, of course, in certain amounts!
On a more serious note, these chicken roll ups will give you a delicious combination of tastes and looks while taking you almost no time to prepare them!
How to Make Cream Cheese Chicken Roll Ups?
With these chicken roll ups, you will try a new and much less complicated way to stuff chicken meat with tasty ingredients. Moreover, the fact that you can avoid dough is another plus because you won’t have to eat heavy pastry before you go to bed.
However, if you do decide you need that dose of carbs, you can try chicken crescent roll ups and use the chicken breasts that way.
Both versions require only a few ingredients for preparation, as well as little time. These are the ingredients you will need to make these dough-free roll ups:
- Chicken – Since these are chicken roll ups, it’s no surprise that chicken is the first ingredient on the list. You need to use chicken breasts because you need steaks you can roll.
- Cream Cheese – This is both a tasty and practical ingredient. You can spread a thin or thick layer across the chicken steak and then roll it, not worrying that anything may fall out of the roll.
- Bacon – A perfect yet totally different substitute for dough since it gives much more taste variety to the meal and makes it crispier.
- Pickles – Their salty and sour juices combine nicely with cream cheese and chicken.
- Spices – The flavor of pepper blends perfectly with bacon, while the flavor of cayenne pepper is perfect with chicken, and salt is an indispensable ingredient of any dish.
What Are the Steps for Cream Cheese Chicken Roll Up Preparation?
If you think the supply of ingredients is easy, you will be glad to know that the preparation process is even easier. Let’s take a look at these simple steps:
Step 1: Preheating the oven to 400 °F (200 °C)
While the oven is heating up, you can use this time to cut the chicken breast into steaks.
Step 2: Seasoning
Season each steak with as much salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper as you wish. If you are reading this recipe a few days before making it, I suggest seasoning the chicken day before baking. This way, the chicken will absorb the spices nicely so it will be more flavorful.
Step 3: Preparing the meat
Place each steak between two pieces of parchment paper and pound them to make them thin. They should be as thin as possible, but be careful not to pound them too much so they won’t start to break.
Step 4: Filling the chicken roll ups
Spread cream cheese on one side of a chicken steak, and then put several stripes of pickles on one side. Roll the chicken and then wrap the bacon around it.
I have one tip about this step. Don’t use low-fat cream cheese because it will melt and pour out of the rolls. Rather use cream cheese with high-fat content.
Step 5: Baking the cream cheese chicken roll ups
Place the chicken roll ups on parchment paper and bake them for 35 minutes at 400 °F. Let it set for 5 minutes and serve.
Additional Tips for Preparing Cream Cheese Chicken Roll Ups
Since this recipe only has five ingredients, spices included, there is not much space for altering. However, there are a few things you could add or change.
If you are not a fan of pickles, you can opt for spinach or green onions. Moreover, you can add a dash of lemon juice, which always works well with chicken.
Don’t overuse spices, but you can add garlic powder if you like.
Although these roll ups are delicious on their own, you can serve them with either fries or boiled or grilled veggies. I served my roll ups with sweet potato fries and cinnamon dipping sauce.
How Long Do Cream Cheese Chicken Rolls Up Last and How to Store Them?
If you are somehow left with a couple of delicious roll ups, you can refrigerate them for a few days. Make sure you choose airtight containers.
If you decide to freeze them, you can store them in a freezer bag before rolling them in bacon and baking, and then take some whenever you need a quick dinner. Defrost your chicken rolls up, roll them in bacon and then bake in the oven as instructed in the recipe.
Cream Cheese Chicken Roll Ups
- 1 Whole chicken breast
- 2.6 oz Cream cheese
- 5 pieces Pickles
- 3.5 oz Sliced bacon
- Salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- While the oven is heating up, you can use this time to cut the chicken breast into steaks.
- Season each steak with as much salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper as you wish. If you are reading this recipe a few days before making it, I suggest seasoning the chicken day before baking.
- Place each steak between two pieces of parchment paper and pound them to make them thin. They should be as thin as possible, but be careful not to pound them too much so they won’t start to break.
- Spread cream cheese on one side of a chicken steak, and then put several stripes of pickles on one side. Roll the chicken and then wrap the bacon around it.
- Place the chicken roll ups on parchment paper and bake them for 35 minutes at 400 °F. Let it set for 5 minutes and serve.