I have done the fruit cake recipe a few times and have always wanted to make it with just prunes but have never been game to try it. However i had a bag of prunes in my pantry so thought it’s now or never, and I am glad i did try it as it has turned out a very nice cake. I think that it is actually better than the fruit cake that I make!
It didn’t last long, so it must be good. My sons friend came over and devoured a few slices and he usually eats so healthy he never touches cake, but he made an exception with this one.
I altered the recipe as I don’t like too much baking soda because it makes it too strong (giving it a burnt taste).
Here is the recipe:
- 200 grams Prunes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 250 grams butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- teaspoon vanilla essence
- For The Frosting
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon Lemon essence
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 150 C
- Place prunes along with the water, sugar and the butter into a saucepan.
- Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Add the beaten egg and vanilla essence.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients.
- Pour into a 9" cake tin that has been greased and floured
- Bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Poke a skewer into the center, if it comes up clean then it is cooked.
- Turn onto a cake rack once cooked.
- For the Lemon Frosting
- Tip the water and the essence onto the melted butter then add icing sugar until you get the right consistency.
- (Not too runny as it will run off the cake and not too thick so you can't spread it.)
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake.