I don’t see the gem irons in the shops these days. They are solid cast iron to withstand the heat. If you have no gem iron you may be able to use a muffin tray.
Honey butter gems taste really good if you cut them longways and put a dab of butter onto them. The irons are so hot when you put the mixture into them they don’t take long to cook.
These honey butter gems are super simple to make and they don’t require a lot of ingredients. Here are the steps below:
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 50 grams butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150 ml milk
- Prior to preparing the mixture preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Using a gem iron place about 1/2 teaspoon of butter into each compartment.
- Place into oven until gem irons are hot and butter is bubbling then spoon in the mixture.
- For the mixture:
- Using an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar and then add a well beaten egg.
- Add the milk alternatively with the sifted dry ingredients, until you get the right consistency.
- Spoon into the hot gem irons and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.